Friday, November 10, 2006

Lazy Man's Blog Update

Hello friends in blog-land.

It's been almost 2 1/2 months since my last update. I don't have a good excuse for my lack of updates except that I've been living a pretty boring existence for the past several weeks. I went back to Portland in early September and SJ and I just got back from a nice trip to Manzanillo, Mexico (should have that blog update ready next week with pictures). But other than that, it's just been work, eat, video games, and sleep. It's pretty hard to make that interesting - unless I post some pictures of me sitting in front of my computer killing dragons. :)

This week, a coworker sent out a mail with some really funny pictures depicting life in Malaysia and I thought it would make a fun blog post, even if it's somewhat unoriginal. So I'll tell you in advance - I didn't take these pictures, but I have seen a lot of these things in my travels over here. Someone did the hard work for me - I'm just sharing them for your enjoyment.

You might recall a few months back when I wrote about driving in Malaysia. Scooters are a very common form of transportation over here - partly because cars cost so much. It's especially the case for small business owners or general contractors who don't have a lot of capital - they frequently use scooters in place of trucks.

What's funny about the pictures below is that they are really extreme examples of using scooters far beyond their intended use. I don't have a lot of comments about these pictures - they mostly speak for themselves. Hope you find them entertaining.

(You can click on any of these pictures to make them bigger)

First - here's some creative ways to transport food:























More food, including eggs, chicken, and ducks:

















The last of the food pictures - big blocks of ice and little pigs!

















A bunch of plastic products, some crates and what? Hula hoops???

















plumbers and fencing contractors - imagine if either of these had to stop suddenly!










Why drive your truck to get new tires when you can drive new tires to your truck?




One of my favorites - a full size mirror!



Finally - a response to the SUV. In the US, people are buying Expeditions to work by themselves. In Malaysia, they fit a family of *5* on a single scooter!



OK - that's all for this week, hope you've been well for the past few months!

No comments: